This is a four-day course with an optional fifth day, built up as follows:
1. Horizon 2020 Proposal Development – Focus: Impact
2. Optional day (Evaluation / Consortium Agreement / Consultancy)
3. 14-15 June: Horizon 2020 Project Management and Finances
It is possible to attend all combination of courses, but it is not possible to attend only the optional day (2).
The full EU R&I project lifecycle from the proposal concept till the final report - The essence of all our knowledge: European Funding Academy
Join Europa Media’s annual European Funding Academy and get a practical insight to the EU research and innovation projects and gain hands-on knowledge on how to submit competitive project proposals and effectively manage projects under Horizon 2020.
WHY Europa Media's "European Funding Academy"?
- Europa Media’s trainers are actual project managers, coordinators and financial administrators of our 12 successful H2020 projects – giving you advice based on their everyday experience.
- Europa Media is always the first to provide clear and understandable explanations and answers through practical examples and workshops during which you can practice what we preach.
- Europa Media is Europe’s leading provider of practical training courses in developing and implementing EU R&I projects.
WHAT: This 4-day intensive course will help you develop more competitive proposals under Horizon 2020 calls and effectively manage your projects.
The European Funding Academy provides a complete insight to the EU research and innovation programmes of 2014-2020 (there are other funding sources besides H2020) and draws on the lessons learned from the:
- The first calls of H2020;
- Dozens of our winning and lost proposals; and
- Our recently funded H2020 projects, including the reports submitted.
HOW: Lectures and workshops on Proposal Development and Project Management
Experience Europa Media's famous "learning-by-doing" approach – presentations in the morning, then practice your newly-gained knowledge during the workshops specifically designed for the particular topics:
During the course, the participants will develop a proposal concept and key chapters sections in response to a real call under Horizon 2020. Learning-by-doing: that's the best way to success! After going through a simple exercise, you and your team will be encouraged to pursue a new way of thinking - a method to ensure that you get started in the right way. You will then further develop your proposal concept by setting the overall and specific objectives, designing a work plan with work packages, a Gantt chart, and a PERT diagram, putting together an efficient exploitation plan and creating an ideal consortium and a realistic budget.
Technical and Financial Project Management
After successfully submitting their proposals, the participants will understand how to get a Horizon 2020 project started on the right foot, receive practical tips to ensure a sound technical implementation of the project, and go into the issues of financial management and reporting. During practical workshops, you will discuss real-life case scenarios related to project coordination, working with partners, budget management, dissemination, and project amendments, and simulate financial reporting based on "dummy" invoices, salary slips and time-sheets.
"Excellent course from the teacher who manages EU funded projects first hand. His experience helped us to understand the requirements of the EU. Very practical course." I2MPECT (UK)
"Very professional, detailed, practical but yet clear and enjoyable" The Foundry Visionmongers Ltd. (UK)
"Very useful, "straight to the point" giving solutions to financial and administrative problems of EC projects." Intrasoft International S.A. (LUX)
WHO: Trainers are experienced Project Managers and Coordinators
This course is built on our direct experience gained over the past 1 years from developing and submitting proposals and implementing projects under the EU Programmes, in particular, FP5/6/7, FP6, FP7, CIP, LIFE/LIFE+, LLP and Horizon 2020. We have developed and submitted several proposals under Horizon 2020, went through grant agreement preparations for those projects which have been successful, and now managing our H2020 projects as coordinator or partner.
Our trainers and workshop leaders are flesh-and-bone project managers and coordinators, whose day-to-day work is to turn innovative project concepts into competitive proposals and implement projects according to EC Grant Agreement, tackling problems promptly, and assisting project partners in legal, technical and financial management issues.
European Funding Academy goes beyond the official texts – it presents real-life examples, analyses actual proposals and evaluation summary reports and shows success and failure stories in research and innovation projects.
The training fee includes
- Training material in electronic format
- Coffee breaks and lunches at the venue
- Social event
- Access to My Trainings (downloadable background documentation, presentations and workshop materials)
- Certificate of attendance
Accommodation is not included in the course price and should be arranged individually by the participants.
(To book a hotel room at the venue hotel, booking form can be downloaded from the confirmation email received after registration.)
During June edition only, we will have an optional 5th day (13 June) with 3 simultaneous sessions to choose from:
H2020 Proposal Evaluation Simulation
Simulate the evaluation process on real H2020 proposals.
You will become an evaluator and experience first-hand the evaluation process to better understand this critical stage of the selection process in Horizon 2020 and conceive your H2020 proposals in this light in the future.
This half-day simulation begins with briefing of the evaluators on the ‘call’ and the rules and procedures of the evaluation process. The evaluators will then conduct their individual assessment of the H2020 proposals, after which they will gather with their fellow evaluators for consensus meetings. Once the consensus reports are drafted in each panel, final ranking will be established, which will serve as the basis for the allocation of budget amongst the highly ranked proposals.
09:00 – 09:30 Briefing of evaluators
09:30 – 11:00 Individual Evaluation Sessions
11:00 – 11:30 Coffee Break
11:30 – 12:30 Consensus Meetings
12:30 – 13:30 Final ranking and conclusions
Consortium Agreement and Legal Issues
This half-day course will provide the participants with a sound understanding of the options for the scope and content of consortium agreements that can effectively complement the Grant Agreement in Horizon 2020 projects. To fully understand what should be included in the Consortium Agreements and how, we will introduce the rights and obligations deriving from the Grant Agreement and discuss what other types of legal agreements may be concluded before entering into a Consortium Agreement.
We will conduct a hands-on workshop on consortium agreements for H2020 projects, during which the participants will work on different case studies to discuss how to draw up an effective Consortium Agreement. For this exercise, we will introduce different real-life scenarios with problematic and challenging situations in H2020 projects such as conflicts on IPR and exploitation issues, delays and quality problems in reports and deliverables, risks on financial management, and other budgetary problems.
09:00 – 09:30 Formal and Informal Arrangements among H2020 Beneficiaries: From the H2020 Proposal to the Grant Agreement
09:30 – 10:30 Understanding the H2020 Grant Agreement and the Consortium Agreement
10:30 – 11:00 Coffee Break
11:00 – 12:00 How to draw up an Effective Consortium Agreement
12:00 – 13:30 Workshop: Consortium Agreement Case Studies
90-minute Individual Consultancy
We are offering an exceptional opportunity for an individual, 90-minutes consultancy session on Horizon 2020 financial issues with Gabor Kitley, the CEO of Europa Media.
This consultancy session is for those who:
- Would like to verify the compliance of the administrative and financial procedures at their organisation with the requirements of the Grant Agreements of their EU-funded projects under Horizon 2020;
- Want to ensure that the accounting and timekeeping procedures are in line with the regulations;
- Are about to submit a financial statement and realized a possible systematic error in the hourly rate calculation, or have doubts about which calculation method to use;
- Have already submitted financial statements and would like to validate the accuracy of their reports and the eligibility of the costs claimed;
- Will be audited soon and want to have a preliminary Beneficiary-level system audit on Horizon 2020 cost allocation and reporting with recommendations for changes and/or adjustments;
- Simply need a confirmation that “You are doing the right thing”!
Select the session you are interested in during your registration!
STANDARD RATE: €1790